Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Weeknight Fajitas

I love fajitas, but it is something that I've never cooked...before this week! If you know me well and you read this blog, you know that I love my America's Test Kitchen cookbook. I have never made a bad recipe out of the cookbook and I love their photos and details on recipes, different procedures, and the best products on the grocery store shelves.

The recipe below is very easy and tasty. I am convinced that anyone can make this recipe!! Next time I am going to make it with shrimp instead of flank steak. Speaking of flank steak, I was under the impression this was one of the cheapest cuts of beef you can buy. Not in my case this past weekend; I found it to be a quite expensive cut of beef! For that price, I'd rather have shrimp.

For the shrimp variation, I plan to cook the shrimp in the skillet first and then place on a plate (top with lime juice) while I cook the veggies. I'll add the shrimp back in the skillet to warm up when the veggies are finishing. If you would prefer to keep the shrimp and veggies separate, just cook the shrimp in a different skillet. Start cooking the shrimp a minute or two after you start the veggies and the meal will be ready at the same time. I will use 1.5-2 lbs of shrimp.

Courtesy of America's Test Kitchen.

- 1.5 lb. flank steak, fat trimmed if any
- Salt and pepper
- 2 TBS fresh lime juice
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and sliced thin
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced thin
- 2 TBS water
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Tabasco (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 6-inch flour tortillas

Pat the steak dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper.  Heat 1 TBS of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown the steak on the first side, about 5 minutes. Flip the steak over and continue to cook to the desired doneness, 3 to 6 minutes (I would say closer to 6 minutes for medium). Transfer to a large plate and drizzle with the lime juice. Tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, add the remaining 1 TBS oil to the skillet and return to medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the bell peppers, onion, water, chili powder, Tabasco, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, scraping up any browned bits, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl.

Stack the tortillas on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Heat in the microwave until soft and hot, 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

Slice the steak very thin across the grain. Arrange the beef on a platter and serve with warm tortillas, vegetables, and any desired accompaniments. Let everyone assemble their own fajitas at the table. Serve with cheese, avocado, sour cream, and anything else you love on a fajita!

No comments:

Post a Comment