Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

Chicken, Andouille Sausage and Kale Stew

My cousin recently asked me, "So, what's going on with your blog?" I responded that I just hadn't had the time to post anything as life has been busy with work, travel, the kids and wedding planning. But I haven't stopped cooking and trying new recipes. I am going to try and keep an updated blog in the hopes that someone will read it! 

I was in Washington, DC a few weeks ago for work and my boss and his wife had me over for dinner. Kristen is a great cook and always seems to have new recipes on hand. I also don't know anyone who loves kale as much as she does and she is a wealth of Kale knowledge and recipes. I made this recipe recently and Pete said it's the best soup I've ever made. I studied the original and adapted recipes below and developed my own. Next time I will add more thyme and either less chicken or more stock to make it more of a soup.

Chicken, Andouille Sausage and Kale Stew 
Adapted from How To - and The Kitchen Faerie 

- 3 parsnips, chopped
- 3 TBS olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Andouille sausage (we use Johnsonville brand)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped 
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, thyme removed from stems
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat shredded
- One handful chopped kale, optional (ribs removed and torn into pieces)
- 1 cup frozen butternut squash, optional

Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss chopped parnsips in a bowl with salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Arrange in one layer on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until the parsnips are browned and softened. 

In a dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add chopped onion and shallot, cooking until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage pieces and saute until completely cooked through. Add carrots and cook until softened. 

Add chicken stock, thyme, shredded chicken, butternut squash and parsnips. Bring to a simmer. Add kale and simmer 20 minutes longer. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with parmesan cheese.  

No comments:

Post a Comment