Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Best Prime Rib

I was excited to cook Christmas dinner for my family in Knoxville this year. I rarely get the chance to cook for large crowds, so when I get the chance, I jump at it. Cooking and entertaining for larger groups scares a lot of people, but not me! I think I get a rush from the excitement.

Earlier in the month, I was watching the Pioneer Woman's Christmas show on Food Network and she made a rosemary and salt crusted prime rib. It looked fantastic and I knew I wanted to make this, but knowing the very expensive cost of prime rib, I didn't say anything to mom about this recipe. When I showed up on Friday, mom opened the fridge and coincidentally, there was a 12lb prime rib! I was so excited and also very nervous because I'd never cooked prime rib and neither had anyone else in the family.

Mom and I planned a menu of prime rib, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, apple and raisin stuffing, cranberries, croissants, and a Honeybaked Ham.

I had my handy sous chef Joel (mom's fiance) cut the prime rib in thirds. I wrapped one section for them to save for another night and loaded up the other two sections with fresh chopped rosemary, sea salt and pepper. After an hour and a half - and after thinking that I overcooked a very expensive piece of meat - Joel sliced into the prime rib and it was perfect. I was so excited that I started jumping up and down.


Pre-cooked prime rib with rosemary, salt, and pepper

Tasty Prime Rib. Thanks to Joel for slicing!
I didn't follow the Pioneer Woman's recipe, but you can find her recipe here for a VERY rare prime rib.

Lindsay's Prime Rib
- 4-5 lb prime rib (we had two 4 lb roasts)
- Olive Oil
- 2-3 TBS chopped fresh rosemary per roast (if you're cooking more than one)
- A lot of sea salt
- A lot of pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown all sides of meat in a skillet in a little bit of olive oil. Place meat in a roasting pan and allow to cool for a few minutes. Sprinkle salt and pepper all over roast. Rub rosemary all over roast. Cook roast for 1.5 hours or until it reaches 130-135 degrees. Remove from oven and place on a cutting board. Cover with foil for 10-15 minutes to allow the roast to rest. This creates a medium roast. If you prefer medium rare, only cook to about 125 degrees. If you prefer well done, don't spend you're money on a prime rib!!!

Enjoy the juices in the bottom of the pan as an au jus or make a gravy. Also serve horseradish on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment