Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Potato Leek Soup

Several years ago, I received a French cookbook from a family member and I have finally started to make some recipes. Tonight I made a potato, leek, truffle soup and homemade bread.

I love truffles and truffle oil, but my checking account can't cover the cost of truffles. If you don't know about truffles, they can cost as much as $2,000 per pound. I have made this soup in the past and added a drop of truffle oil to each bowl and that is fantastic. If you use oil, only add a small drop! Today I just left that ingredient out and it is still fantastic. This recipe is also easy to cut in half.

Courtesy The Provence Cookbook

- 2 medium leeks, white and tender green parts
- 3 tbs salted butter
- 1 lb. potatoes (about 3 medium) peeled and cubed
- 2 quarts whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated truffle or truffle oil optional

Trim the leeks, rinse under water and place in water for about 5 minutes for all grit to fall out. Dry and coarsely chop. In Stockport, heat butter and cook leeks for a few minutes. Add potatoes and milk and cover. Simmer 10-15 minutes until potatoes are soft. Process with immersion blender or in food processer. Season with salt and pepper and top with trifle or oil of using.

No comments:

Post a Comment